- UK broadband gets a boost in £900mn Government project 5 August 2020 | 11:09 am
- T-Mobile US claims world first for 5G standalone deployment 5 August 2020 | 10:41 am
- Rackspace to IPO for $21 per share 5 August 2020 | 10:02 am
- TikTok ban could violate First Amendment – EFF 5 August 2020 | 9:16 am
- Rakuten Mobile: No ordinary telco 4 August 2020 | 9:15 pm
Speaker interview with Carl Wiper, Information Commissioner’s Office
In the build up to the Analytics and Big Data Congress taking place in London between 2-3 December, we caught up with Speaker Carl Wiper from the Information Commissioner’s Office. Read on for his view on the World of Analytics and Big Data!
a) What does your role at the ICO involve?
I work in the Policy Delivery department of the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). This involves researching new developments, such as the growth of big data and open data, and working out the implications in terms of data protection and freedom of information. We then produce guidance documents to help practitioners to comply with the Data Protection Act and the Freedom of Information Act.
b) What do you foresee as being the growing challenge you will face in your role over the coming 3 years, and how are you preparing to face this?
Developments in technology, including the growing capability of big data analytics and the Internet of Things, mean that personal data is being collected and used in new ways that may not be apparent to the people concerned. The challenge for us is to understand how the data…
To download the full free interview, please complete the form below.